maryrajotte

Pre-order HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN

I may be a bit of a fan of author Todd Keisling (and feel quite proud to call him a friend), so I HAD to share the news that his latest Ugly Little Thing, HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN, is now available for pre-order.

In case you aren’t familiar with Todd’s Ugly Little Things, he has penned an eclectic mix of horrific, terrifying and cringe-inducing tales that continue to garner rave reviews (and invoke nightmares). It offers new readers an introduction to his signature dark, introspective style while quelling the hunger of his rabid fanbase just itching for his longer works.

You can grab a pre-order copy for $2.99 at Amazon or for your Nook.

house-of-nettle-and-thorn-bright-683x1024

ABOUT HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN

From the twisted mind that brought you THE HARBINGER comes a new tale of the macabre.

Following a devastating breakup, Jim Auster’s roommate Nick suggests an off-campus sorority party to cure Jim’s heartache. “Be my wingman tonight,” Nick tells him, “and I’ll introduce you to some of the ladies in my history class.” Jim is reluctant about being Nick’s wingman, but he figures the party beats sulking in his dorm room all night.

When they arrive, the unnerving atmosphere shakes Jim’s resilience. The neighborhood is abandoned, the sorority’s front gate bears the ominous effigy of a man in submission, and the sorority sisters’ strange talk of harvests and reconciliations only work to further disturb Jim.

Try to relax, he tells himself. It’s just a party. After all, a little socializing never hurt anyone . . .

In his latest ugly little thing, Todd Keisling invites readers on a journey into the depths of madness and desire. Welcome to the HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN. We’ve been expecting you.

The Mummy Congress: Science, Obsession, and the Everlasting Dead
Heather Pringle
Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art
Bob Brier
Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear
Jan Bondeson
Chilling Tales: Evil I Did Dwell -- Lewd Did I Live
Leah Bobet, Jason S. Riddler, Christopher K. Miller, Brent Hayward, Ian Rogers, Simon Strantzas, Suzanne Church, Robert J. Wiersema, Richard Gavin, David Nickle, Michael R. Colangelo, Sandra Kasturi, Claude Lalumière, Michael Kelly, Tia V. Travis, Gemma Files, Barbara R
Debris: A Collection of Short Fiction and Poetry
Barry Napier

The Liminal Man

The Liminal Man - Todd Keisling Sequels can be difficult. As a reader, you want the 2nd book in a series to live up to the expectations you have after reading the 1st. As an author, you want to enhance the narrative of the 1st by adding, growing, or changing the lives of your characters and the world in which they live.

In The Liminal Man, author Todd Keisling manages to do both by going decidedly deeper into the Monochrome, the world in which title character Donovan Candle only managed a glimpse in book 1, A Life Transparent.

At the end of ALT, Donovan made the vow to change his life, not only for the better, but to prevent himself from “flickering” from existence. In TLM, Donovan finds himself working in a new job as a P.I. with older brother Mike and about to become a father with wife Donna.

But all is not peachy keen, especially when the dastardly Aleister Dullington, his henchman Albert Sparrow and their minions the Cretins and the Yawning are up to their old tricks again.

But TLM is not just a rehashing of the plot from book 1. It adds deeper shades of darkness when Donovan’s nephew Quinn goes missing. The return of Dullington and his hordes plunge Donovan into a world just as devoid of color yet teeming with something more sinister and darker than Donovan even realizes.

What he discovers in Dullington’s alternate underworld underlines the message of book 1, while forcing Donovan to realize that by only taking half-measures, he is still at risk of cheating himself out of the very things he desires, not to mention threatening his very existence, the futures of those he loves and the others who have fallen prey to the Monochrome and the creatures residing within.

alt_coverWhere A Life Transparent gave Donovan a glimpse at what his future could hold if he fails to live up to his full potential, The Liminal Man drags him across various thresholds he is too afraid to face and forces him to make a decision one way or another. The question for readers: how will Donovan react when the clock runs out and the time to make a decision is staring him in the face?

The Liminal Man is a thrilling, suspense-fueled ride with good and evil in a showdown, and the fate of one man inadvertently putting the lives of others in jeopardy. Add to that some evil little creatures, a bone-chilling underworld and forces that will stop at nothing until they get what they want, The Liminal Man kept me turning pages well into the night (and a little wary of taking the subway anymore, to be honest).