maryrajotte

Pre-order HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN

I may be a bit of a fan of author Todd Keisling (and feel quite proud to call him a friend), so I HAD to share the news that his latest Ugly Little Thing, HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN, is now available for pre-order.

In case you aren’t familiar with Todd’s Ugly Little Things, he has penned an eclectic mix of horrific, terrifying and cringe-inducing tales that continue to garner rave reviews (and invoke nightmares). It offers new readers an introduction to his signature dark, introspective style while quelling the hunger of his rabid fanbase just itching for his longer works.

You can grab a pre-order copy for $2.99 at Amazon or for your Nook.

house-of-nettle-and-thorn-bright-683x1024

ABOUT HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN

From the twisted mind that brought you THE HARBINGER comes a new tale of the macabre.

Following a devastating breakup, Jim Auster’s roommate Nick suggests an off-campus sorority party to cure Jim’s heartache. “Be my wingman tonight,” Nick tells him, “and I’ll introduce you to some of the ladies in my history class.” Jim is reluctant about being Nick’s wingman, but he figures the party beats sulking in his dorm room all night.

When they arrive, the unnerving atmosphere shakes Jim’s resilience. The neighborhood is abandoned, the sorority’s front gate bears the ominous effigy of a man in submission, and the sorority sisters’ strange talk of harvests and reconciliations only work to further disturb Jim.

Try to relax, he tells himself. It’s just a party. After all, a little socializing never hurt anyone . . .

In his latest ugly little thing, Todd Keisling invites readers on a journey into the depths of madness and desire. Welcome to the HOUSE OF NETTLE AND THORN. We’ve been expecting you.

The Mummy Congress: Science, Obsession, and the Everlasting Dead
Heather Pringle
Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art
Bob Brier
Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear
Jan Bondeson
Chilling Tales: Evil I Did Dwell -- Lewd Did I Live
Leah Bobet, Jason S. Riddler, Christopher K. Miller, Brent Hayward, Ian Rogers, Simon Strantzas, Suzanne Church, Robert J. Wiersema, Richard Gavin, David Nickle, Michael R. Colangelo, Sandra Kasturi, Claude Lalumière, Michael Kelly, Tia V. Travis, Gemma Files, Barbara R
Debris: A Collection of Short Fiction and Poetry
Barry Napier

The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories Bonus Edition

The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories Bonus Edition - Aaron Polson Loved it! Gave me creepy dreams throughout. Will be posting a full review at http://www.misswrite.net soon
-----------------------------
My Review:

The Bottom Feeders is a 14-story collection of dark and foreboding tales from author and teacher Aaron Polson.

You know those writers whose pen bewitches and enchants yet somehow it seems effortless? Aaron is one of those authors.

One of the things I like about Aaron’s writing is that on the surface, everything appears normal. It reminds me of those side-by-side comic strips where you have to compare the two and find the one thing that is out of place.

Aaron’s tales have that one thing that is askew, and he utilizes that one thing to entice readers; to challenge them to come a little closer, to peer a little more intently. And by the time the reader realizes things are not quite right, there is no turning back.

The important thing is – I don’t want to turn back. I can’t help but go deeper into the darkness Aaron has created.

Whether it is the pallid-skinned town folk living in the dying carcass of Broughton’s Hollow in In Hollow Fields; the scraping, slow-building chill a young boy experiences after an unexpected stranger appears in Shovel Man Comes Callin’; or the tainted and ravenous creatures whose obliteration of a group of friends in Grim Adaptations is just the beginning, these tales find their way under your skin and they don’t tickle so much as prickle and unnerve.

The Bottom Feeders is not hit-you-over-the-head horror. It is whispers in the dark; a creeping sensation up the back of your neck; dark things that cannot — or will not — remain buried. Like a bristling sliver, the frightening things found in The Bottom Feeders always make their way to the surface, and unveil the hidden horrors that lie beneath the places one least expects them.

Aaron’s voice will instantly draw you in no matter what story you read. And that’s where the slope gets slippery — because once you are just about to get comfortable and lose yourself in Aaron’s writing, that is when he turns the tables on you with his deftly woven prose that is steeped in subtle (and often skin-chilling) horror that is lyrical and poetic.

The Bottom Feeders is a strong collection. Each of the 14 tales interlocks with the next, allowing the uneasiness of the reader to build to a terror-pitch that will have you wondering about the hidden horrors all around you.

To pick up a copy of The Bottom Feeders (for only $0.99!), head over to Amazon or Smashwords (for the Bonus Edition which Includes 4 tales not found in the free edition–two previously unpublished).

For more information on Aaron Polson, his writing and his latest publications, visit his website.

Thanks for the nightmares, Aaron! I enjoyed this collection immensely